Rev. Jeya So, Lead Pastor
Pastor Jeya (or PJ, as she is affectionately known) is passionate about helping people discover their belovedness in God and tying together different threads of their identities to discern their distinct and unique callings. In addition to co-pastoring Anchor & Hope, PJ also works for 1001 New Worshiping Communities as the Associate for Training, coaches people in innovative contexts, and works as a cohort facilitator for ISAAC’s PastoraLab. In her spare time, PJ is learning how to make bad art and working on repressing her cute aggression.
- What’s your favorite place in San Diego? The Timken Museum, specifically at the Rembrandt painting of St. Bartholomew
- How do you connect with God? These days much of my connection is through nature, in quiet contemplation and prayer. Being outside and just spending time noticing how God is at work in the world. Also, doing or trying something new to me, whether it’s a new place, food, or experience often helps me to know God’s love, creativity, and heart for myself and the world in a deeper way.
- How do you connect with others? One on one or small group conversations over a meal, coffee, or in a beautiful setting. I treasure sharing experiences and love it when people share what they love or are excited about!
- What’s your favorite place to eat in Mira Mesa/SD? So many good places to eat! In Mira Mesa, right now I love eating at Shabu Works (give me all the soup and veggies!) and in San Diego in general, my current favorite is Izakaya Sakura on Convoy.
- Who is your favorite person in the Bible (other than Jesus!) and why? Agh! This is so hard to answer! I feel like everyone is my favorite – but if I have to choose , Jeremiah – who held on to God’s promises for a hope that Jeremiah himself might never see and if I can cheat and pick another one, I’ve been doing a lot of exploration of Mary, the mother of Jesus, with my spiritual director, and her response in the face of blessing, difficulty, injustice, and uncertainty.
Rev. Daniel So, Lead Pastor
Pastor Dan loves to help people experience the joy & wonder of following Jesus in the everyday and in-between. PD is the Director of Culture for Cyclical Inc and the Director of Cyclical San Diego, a local faithful innovation network. He also serves on the advisory board of Justice Ventures International. PD is a hopeless music fanatic!
- What’s your favorite place in San Diego? There are so many wonderful places around our beautiful city & region! I’m a big fan of the entire coast — the views from Torrey Pines are unbeatable.
- How do you connect with God? Definitely music and, more & more these days, through contemplative silence.
- How do you connect with others? Even though I’m a hardcore introvert, I love connecting one-to-one with folks over coffee, conversation, music.
- What’s your favorite place to eat in Mira Mesa/SD? For MM, I love the crepe at Phở Ban Mai. Around SD, Tacos El Gordo is always a treat!
- Who is your favorite person in the Bible (other than Jesus!) and why? Barnabas. I mean, is there a better nickname than the “son of encouragement”? I want to follow in his footsteps of faithfulness, kindness, humility, and courage.
Kathy Lee, Worship Leader
Kathy moved to San Diego from the LA area in 2015 for college. She now works as a resident director at Point Loma Nazarene University. Kathy has a love for music and people, which is why she loves getting to be a part of ministry here at Anchor & Hope. Kathy feels like everyone should have a place and community where they can come as they are and fully be loved, belong, and grow.
- What’s your favorite place in San Diego? Balboa Park
- How do you connect with God? Through community (for example good conversations with people I love over good food) and music
- How do you connect with others? I love connecting with others through conversation. While “small talk” isn’t necessarily my strength I love getting to hear about people’s stories.
- What’s your favorite place to eat in Mira Mesa/SD? Menya Ultra or Bahn Thai (SD)
- Who is your favorite person in the Bible (other than Jesus!) and why? Esther. She is a great example of a woman in ministry that fought for justice and peace.
Elle Kim, Sunday School Teacher
Elle is passionate about teaching and making a difference in children’s lives. She enjoys music, traveling, and going out with her friends. Every Sunday, Elle teaches our NextGen students from age 3 years old through 5th grade.
- What’s your favorite place in San Diego? Encinitas
- How do you connect with God? Through music and reflection
- How do you connect with others? Through meaningful relationships and time spent with them.
- What’s your favorite place to eat in Mira Mesa/SD? RakiRaki Ramen
- Who is your favorite person in the Bible (other than Jesus!) and why? Joseph. I admire his never ending forgivingness and unconditional love he displayed to everyone. Even those who wronged him.